Sports Premium Funding
What is sports premium funding?
The Government is providing funding of over £450 million per annum to provide new, substantial primary school sport funding’. This funding is being jointly provided by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport, and will see money going directly to primary school Headteachers to spend on improving the quality of sport and PE for all their children.
Purpose of funding
Schools must use the funding to make additional and sustainable improvements to the quality of PE and sport they offer.
The premium must be used to fund additional and sustainable improvements to the provision of PE and sport, for the benefit of primary-aged pupils, in the 2016 to 2017 academic year, to encourage the development of healthy, active lifestyles.
This means that schools should use the premium to:
- develop or add to the PE and sport activities that your school already offers
- make improvements now that will benefit pupils joining the school in future years
For example, schools can use funding to:
- hire qualified sports coaches to work with teachers
- provide existing staff with training or resources to help them teach PE and sport more effectively
- introduce new sports or activities and encourage more pupils to take up sport
- support and involve the least active children by running or extending school sports clubs, holiday clubs and Change4Life clubs
- run sport competitions
- increase pupils’ participation in the School Games
- run sports activities with other schools
For further information: www.gov.uk/guidance/pe-and-sport-premium-for-primary-schools#funding-for-the-pe-and-sport-premium
Sports Premium Funding Reports: